Friday, March 13, 2009

Co Dance Convention


Co Dance is a company that holds dance conventions across the U.S. year round with world renown dance staff. I got connected with them because they used to be a sister company to UDA (I'm a former UDA staff member where I traveled to schools around the South East teaching dance team camps).

I got asked to work as staff for the Convention over the weekend in Greenville, SC. You don't get paid to work, however, you get put up in a hotel where the convention is being held, per diem for food, reimbursement for gas, a free convention shirt, discounts on convention attire and all the dance classes you want to take. How could I refuse?! I've worked a convention before and had a blast. The jobs are giving time calls for classes, switching class boards, helping run the convention competition, etc.

The weekend was amazing. I LOVED all of the dance faculty and remembered most of them from the last time I worked with a couple new ones. They are all so personable and inspiring. I enjoyed getting to talk with them. Sometimes they have a guest faculty member and the guest this weekend was Benji Schwimmer from SYTYCD (Season 2 winner).


Benji was great. When I found out he was there, I was interested to see how he would be in person. He has a great TV personality so I was excited to meet him. He was SUCH a nice and humble guy. Completely personable and a pleasure to talk with. I got a chance to talk with him one on one a couple times during the weekend and also take some of his classes. This is a picture with him the last day right before everyone was leaving.

Although I worked hard and was tired by the end, I had such a great time and felt so rejuvenated and inspired when I came home. I had fun telling Tom all the cool stories about the trip. Dance is amazing.

No comments: