Friday, April 30, 2010

Mr. Harrison retires

Band was a huge memory for me in High School. I went to Sequoyah High School, I was in band and marched all 4 years of High School on the Drumline. Those memories I will always remember. Band practice, band camp, football games, percussion class, drumline practice, traveling to away game on the bus, band competition, fundraisers, friends, etc.

I had the same Band Director, Mr. David Harrison, all 4 years and he was a really great leader. I really respected him and just cherished my band experience. He is planning to retire at the end of the school year, so they put together a huge retirement program and party for him at the school.

The program and presentations were nicely done. It was also nice to see a lot of faces I haven't seen in a while. Afterward, there was a reception. They had a book to sign for him and a line so we all got a chance to talk to him one on one briefly. The booster club was also selling these "Harryisms" t-shirts. On the back of the shirt were phrases I'd heard all through High School so I had to get one. Thought I'd share some of my favorites:

Life According to Harry:

Attitude is everything.
One person can and does make a difference.
Work hard, play hard.
On time is late.
Bigger is not better - better is better.
Help others.
Find work that is meaningful.
Listen and learn from others.
Don't turn the music down - feel the rhythm and the lyrics.
It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.
You know more than you think.
You can always get a standing ovation by pulling out a giant American flag.
Choose battles that count.
The best is yet to be.
What goes around comes around.
Lead, follow or get out of the way.

-David E. "Harry" Harrison

Ok, that was actually all of them. They are all so good. Anyway, I thought this was worthy of a post.

No comments: