Monday, August 12, 2013

So... When you gonna have kids?

I figured only appropriate to share the post of mine that triggered the idea of writing again. I received a lot of positive feedback about it, so here it goes. I wrote this a 1/2 week ago.

I thought it was time for another “V” thought of the day...it has been a while. I have seen many friends post this article that’s been floating around FB (http://rationalfaiths.com/so-when-you-gonna-have-kids/). I think it is well written and I have been itching to give my thoughts. Building a family (marriage, kids, pets, etc.) is a significant decision. While each of us is different, so are our circumstances. Thus, not fair to assume everyone is on the same path and should be making the same choices. On the particular topic of having children, I can’t help but feel both thankful that the article was written to raise more awareness and also heavy with the weight of what people go through to accomplish their desires in life.

When Tom and I first started our infertility journey, nearly 6 years ago, I underestimated what we would truly go through. The pain, heartbreak, education, tender mercies, and love, just to name a few. We experienced our fair share of annoyances and people meaning well, but just didn't have a clue. Let me also say that not all levels of infertility are the same. Regardless, it has been an experience. But, not one I would rather share it with than the absolute love of my life. There have been ups and downs to this journey, but one thing I am and will be forever grateful for is that we have lived our marriage. We have lived, learned, loved, traveled, a lot, been spontaneous, adventurous, and experienced and grew our lives together. That itself can take time.

Infertility can be viewed as such a “hush-hush” topic but maybe if we educated ourselves and recognized it more with love and sensitivity, it wouldn't seem AS scary. I know that when we realized infertility would become our journey, I felt like I was the only one in the world with it and I felt so utterly and completely alone. I have since learned the true meaning of “gird up your loins; fresh courage take” and grew to trust that “our God will never us forsake.” I could go on and on about the tender mercies and non “coincidental” opportunities and experiences that have been placed in our path.

There is an excellent article on infertility etiquette. It’s a good read. Since I can’t attach two links, just click on it if you’re interested in reading. http://www.resolve.org/support-and-services/for-family--friends/infertility-etiquette.html Even if you don’t think you know anyone, chances are you do and they just haven’t told you.

I've mentioned to a few people that I should write a book on the experiences Tom and I have had over the course of the last 6 years. If the book writing process wasn't so intimidating, and I didn't fear that no one would want to buy it, I would actually consider it…maybe I should start up our blog again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Really appreciate this vera!!